Saturday, October 17, 2020

Game Idea Research

 After thinking of the four games from last week I now have to decide on one which I will make and this is what I will be talking about in this blog post. From doing the second unity video on the plane and finding it difficult I had to think logically on what I will be able to make from the skill that I have now and gaining new skills in the upcoming weeks, I felt that the one that I would be able to make was the car one as what I have done so far is similar to the idea I had as the controls will include going side to side and jumping up using the arrows. In this game the player is the police car chasing the prisoner who robbed a motorcycle and is getting away. There are many different aspects that must be looked at before starting to make the game, to be more organized and know where everything is instead of making it up as I go along.

The first thing that I have to think about is the setting, I briefly said this in my previous post. It will be in New York after being there(before covid) I can confirm it really is the city that never sleeps. I thought that this would be a good setting as it will make it harder on the police because  there will be a lot of obstacles to try and get by and a lot of traffic that they will need to try and get by, these will slow the player down which will make it harder to win.  The image below is one that I found on google which is what I want my setting to look familiar too. An aspect to think about is sounding and what sounds there will be in the game. This is what it will be like when opening the game, there will be a sound of a police car, and the prisoner on the motorbike, as the game goes on there will be a sound of a lot of traffic noise such as cars beeping and car noises. When the car turns a corner the police car sound will be a loud sound of the car braking . There will also be some sounds of the prisoner laughing as he has gotten away.

Next is the characters, the prisoner will be in the stereotypical prisoner look which is wearing a black and white striped jumpsuit. He will be on a motorbike for all of the game unless of the off chance that it happens the police catch him. The policeman will be dressed in a police suit. 

Timer is the next thing to think about in game, the game will have a timer which will make it more difficult for the police to catch him.

How?  The main thing that I was concerned about was, how to make the setting as in the unity videos, I just have to import a file and the setting is there, but I did not know how. I did some research and found how to make a background.  Here is a link to a tutorial that I found on youtube how to add a background to unity from the start so I will look up images of New York traffic and import the image to unity. I will get a police car from downloading one from the internet and importing it into the game just like the car and plane from unity, this will be the same for the obstacles, in unity I had to add boxes and duplicate them to make a few along the path I will be doing the same for my game only it will be cars in the way. Here is an article on how to add a timer to unity. It says how I will need to make a new variable in the script to make a timer. This shouldn't be to difficult as in one of the unity videos it showed how to make a variable. 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Niamh, me again lol! Really enjoyed this post, I love the idea you picked! I was in New York too but about six years ago and it's definitely the perfect location for the game as you're right it really doesn't sleep! I love how you've even thought of the outfits the characters will be in! It really sounds like a really cool game and I would love to play it once you've finished! Best of luck with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Niamh!
    A chasing game *-* I love it! I have played so many games in this style (it feels kinda nostalgic coz I played it a lot when I was a kid). I wish I could do my game as I go along too but my ideas only pop up in my head when I'm desperate for insights (and the deadline is right at the coner) :´(
    It´s really nice that you have your game happening in a actual city, all the game ideas that I have seen (and my own one) are at some random place, never in a city or country.
    Are you going to add a map to your game like in the image you added to the post?
    OMG you thought about the sound affects of the game! That´s so clever of you, NEVER in a million years I would remember this point hahahah
    I loved the timer idea btw!
    Best of luck with your game, looking forward to play it!!
    Lรญvia Alencar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Niamh, I really enjoyed Reading your game concept set in New York. I think the game concept of an escaped prisoner causing havoc through the streets of New York is interesting, and having the police try to navigate their way true crowded streets and roads will make it a challenge for the player. The research you have done revolving around your sound design ideas is interesting and will add a lot to players enjoyment and frustration if done right. Will you be considering adding environmental sounds such as weather effects (e.g. rain, wind) as these will add more of a realistic sense to your environment. The timer idea is an interesting element and would benefit from maybe having a competitive element added to it, such as a leader board or score ranking system. This would incite the player to do better and add a lot more replayability to your game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niamh, just had a read through your game idea research blog, well done it looks great and I can see you put quite a lot of work and research into it. Your game sounds brilliant. I wonder what will happen if the prisoner gets caught? Will they just automatically die or will you in your game be giving the player extra lives ? Also I see you were talking about a timer. I will also have a timer in my game which will be displayed in the top right hand corner. Where will yours be displayed on the screen? Will there be a time limit or will it time you as you go? What if the game did have a time limit and you had to race against the clock to try not to get caught. I wish you the best of luck with your game -Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Niamh its Mia here, I just read your game idea blog post and I really liked it. It shows that you have put a lot of effort into it so well done on that! Your idea is so clever, just wondering will the prisoner die as soon as they get caught or does the level automatically end there. I also think the location for your game is great you will definitely find assets to help you create the NYC background. Hope your game goes well for you I'm excited to see and possibly play it! I hope you're finding second year enjoyable, best of luck this semester!
    -Mia

    ReplyDelete