Saturday, November 28, 2020

Alpha

 

This week I worked on Alpha of my game. Continuing on from last week, my goal for this week is to get the car to jump over the other cars. But I firstly added a box collider and changed the size of it car 1 the first obstacle then added a rigid body I added the same to the second car. I then started to try and get the car to move forward and not just jump up and down this took a lot longer than I thought I thought how would I do this then I remembered the first unity tutorial, the truck and how to moved. I started by adding a transform.Translate variable. 
to the playercontroller script the same as the tutorial. As you can see it did not work and the car kept doing flips.


I then added Time delta time to the script and vector 3 which made the car go forward. As can be seen in the image below the car came forward and is jumping over the other car. I then added *10 to make the car go faster The second Image is what the game currently looks like after changing the speed of the car. When I added all of these variables the player's camera went underneath the car which it did not before, I will need to find out how to change it. I tried different way to change the camera I will need to work more with the camera next. 

Overall making the game is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be I thought that I would be nearly finished by now however I'm nowhere near finished which is frustrating me as the smallest mistake such as missing a ; in code makes the game not to work and I don't know where I have gone wrong which also takes a lot of time to find where I have. One positive is that  I'm happy that the car now goes forward


Things I need to do:

- make the camera above the car

- make car not jump as high 

- Add a car to chase as the prisoner 

-  Add more obstacles 

8 comments:

  1. it's good to see that you've got your box colliders and object sizes sorted out, it's important for you to be able to view your game in as similar a fashion that your players will be. Movement is also an important feature to get sorted for your game because you're going to want to be able to explore your gameworld.
    Even though you still have other work to do it's good to see that you have ideas for what you need to get finished and im sure you'll manage to get done what you need to.
    One suggestion is to add in more details along the side of your road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Niamh, your game is looking so good, I'm really impressed. I don't think you're the only one struggling with the camera, I've read a few people have had their own go missing or change midway through. Maybe try resetting the transform x,y and z and going from there? The Unity version of turn it off and back on again. I know we did a tutorial on making a character jump before with Unity, that could be of some use to you. I think it was 4 or 5 but I could be wrong. Hope it works out for you and can't wait to see what it looks like when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Niamh, it's Aoibhe. I hope you are doing well. I just had a read through your project blog and wow, your game looks so good!! Well done, I can see the work that you have put into your game. I love how your game looks from the screenshots that you inserted in this blog. I wonder with the camera is it a problem with the positioning like Rosie said above, maybe you could go back to one of the first unity tutorials that we did, the one where we moved a car, this might help you with the camera. Hope you get it working, and complete your game. I wish you luck with it. - Aoibhe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Niamh, I read through your blog and I really like how your game is coming along. It looks like it would be really fun once it is all working. It is very clear that you have put in some hard work to get it to where it is now, even though it can be very difficult and frustrating when things don't go right. Is the main problem you are having, the camera position for the car? Do you plan to have it from behind the car or from the side? If you are struggling with this, you could always check back on the unity tutorials and then just copy them because there is a camera from both them positions in separate tutorials. Anyways, it looks great so far. I am excited to see it finished. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Niamh,
    I just finished your blog and I love how your game is coming along and the look of your game it's really appealing. It looks like it could keep someone entertained for a few hours. All your hard work on your game really shows and I hope that you feel that it has payed off for you. I'm not sure how you would fix the issue you are having with your camera as I am having similar issues but from a quick look through the comments seems there are a few people who might have figured it out for you so hopefully they have helped you out.
    ~John

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Niamh, I read your OG post about your game a few weeks ago and I loved your game! I still do it's such a good idea! I read all the posts up to this and wow, I'm impressed! It's obvious you've put a lot of work into the game! I really enjoy your writing because you describe everything really well. Sorry to hear you're having problems! I feel you though, it's so frustrating! I read through the comments and I see people have suggested stuff so I hope it worked out for you! Are you going to add any music or sound effects? I think that would really add to your game! I really enjoyed it overall, I’m looking forward to it being completed and hopefully I will be able to play it! Best of luck! -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hii, Niamh!
    Your game is looking soo good! Congrats :D
    I was having a bit of trouble with the camera and while watching some videos, one of them said to make the camera a child of the player (drag the camera to inside the player) and it follows it with no code, you just need to put the camera in the place you want it to be.
    Are you going to add any sound effects? A speeding car sound effect would be really cool!
    Can't wait to see your game video *-* and best of luck on these last days of semester 1 :D
    LΓ­via Alencar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Niamh I really like your game and I think you did a great job with the way it looks from what I can see on the images that you have above.I also had few problems with my game that I was struggling with.and I agree that it is a lot harder to make a game than you think.I hope you will manage to finish your game and it will look as you planned at the start.Best of luck!!!

    ReplyDelete